The following is required BEFORE the date of the wedding:
- 3 ID Photos of each of the couple.
- Clear copies of the couples ID Documents.
- Clear copies of each of the witnesses ID Documents.
- If any party is divorced a copy of the final Decree of Divorce. (Front page)
- If any party is a widower or widow a copy of the Death certificate.
- Letter from your Lawyer if you have set up and Anti-nuptial Contract.
NB. Ante-nuptial Contract MUST be signed at the Lawyer BEFORE the date
of the wedding.
Marriages of South African citizens to foreigners.
According to legislation, ALL foreigners marrying a South African citizen on South African soil MUST secure an appointment for an interview with an immigration officer in South Africa BEFORE the marriage takes place. Both prospective spouses must be interviewed. Only upon receipt of a declaration letter from the immigration officer can the marriage go ahead. NO marriages can be registered with Home Affairs without the letter from the immigration officer, as well as all supporting documentation as above as well as a letter of no impediment from the foreigners country of origin. Please note there is a waiting period of roughly 4 months to secure such an appointment.
There is no need for an interview to be conducted where both prospective spouses are foreigners. However, verification of identity and status in the Republic must be made via an immigration officer in South Africa.
Due to my experiencing extreme problems with Home Affairs in regard to such marriages I do not conduct marriages of South Africans to foreigners or marriages where both prospective spouses are foreigners.
Check your Marital Status www.dha.gov.za/status/
Or SMS m (space) ID Number to 32551.